Welcome to the Vitreo- Retina Service at Al Ibrahim Eye Hospital, where expertise meets compassion
Retina is like screen of the eye and is prone to various diseases such as diabetes and Hypertension.
The vitreoretinal service provides state-of-the-art medical and surgical care for patients of all ages with diseases of the retina, macula and vitreous.
The department has Fellowship trained vitreoretinal surgeons, Medical retina specialists. All sub specialties in retina are covered by an expert including uveitis, pediatric retina, inherited retinal degeneration and diabetic retinopathy.
1. To offer the best possible medical services at a subsidized cost for the patients
2. To train future leaders in the medical and surgical management of retinal diseases
Glaucoma; ‘’The silent theif of the night’’
Glaucoma is disease in which increased pressure inside the eye leads to optic nerve damage.
This damage is often asymptomatic and can lead to irreversible blindness, hence glaucoma is called ‘’silent thief of sight’’.
This is generally regarded as a disease of old age but it can appear in any stage of life and needs detection, precise diagnosis, and effective management.”Glauma or Kala pani is an age-old disease however it is mostly mismanaged. We have the latest diagnostic and surgical tools and expertise available to treat the patient with the utmost care and help them to manage accordingly.
With timely diagnosis and treatment, the vision loss in this disease can prevented or slowed down.
1. Optical coherence tomography
4. Anterior segment Oct
1. Anti-glaucoma eye drops
3. Laser peripheral iridotomy
4. Selective laser • Trabeculoplasty
5. Cyclodiode laser ablation
B. Ahmed glaucoma vavlve surgery.
“Experience the joy of clear vision at our trusted Cataract Clinic. From initial evaluation to follow-up care, our experienced team is committed to providing our patients with exceptional cataract treatment and remarkable visual outcomes.
The patient is referred from the general clinics to the operation theater after the operation. Once the operation ends the patient is followed up in cataract surgeries.
It is a specialized eye care service in which various eye conditions of pediatric patients are addressed. The patients include infants, toddlers, and adolescents.
“Trust our Pediatric Clinic to be your partner in your child’s healthcare journey. With a commitment to excellence, our skilled pediatricians offer a wide range of services, ensuring that your child receives the highest standard of care.”
Pediatric ophthalmologists at the hospital are specially trained to work with children and are knowledgeable about the unique eye care needs of young patients.
If you need pediatric ophthalmology services for a child, it’s essential to consult a qualified specialist who can provide appropriate care and guidance, and for that please do visit us.
1. Conducting comprehensive eye examinations, including detailed history taking, visual acuity assessments (with different tools in children), slit-lamp examination (portable hand held), and fundus evaluation with various methods (like an indirect ophthalmoscope), fundus photography, and OCT (optical coherence tomography) to accurately access and monitor a child’s ocular health.
2. Detailed examination for refractive errors, cyclopelagic refraction, PMT (Post mydiatric test), Prescription of glasses number and latest management protocols and counseling.
3. Specialized strabismus assessment with latest tools and highly trained Orthopist.
4. Management of lazy eye and amblyopia therapy (like patching, atropinization, fogging).
5. Management, treatment and diagnosis of life-threatening eye conditions and children at an early stage like tumors (Retinoblastoma) in collaboration with oncologists.
6. Screening and treatment of ROP
7. Low Vision Services offers support and aid for children with low vision to maximize their remaining vision with the provision of less expensive ocular prostheses and cosmetic contact lenses.
8. Medical and surgical Management of all ocular disease in children by the specialized pediatric Ophthalmologist/Consultant.
The institute provides a state-of-the-art operating room with fully equipped Anesthesia services. Surgeries, that are regularly performed, are:
1. Pediatric Squint Procedures: Esotropia, Exotropia, Hypotropia, Hypertropia
2. Pediatric Ptosis Corrective Procedures: Sling, Levanter resection.
3. Pediatric cataract Surgery: with the various approaches such as Anterior Capsulotomy, Cataract Aspiration, Anterior Vitrectomy and IOL implantation.
4. Pediatric glaucoma Procedure: surgeries intubation procedures etc. Trabeculectomy, Trabeculotomy and Shunt procedure (e.g. Ahmed Glaucoma Valve)
5. Pediatric Oculoplastic Procedures: Including Entropion correction, Ectropion correction, Nasal Intubation, Evisceration, Enucleation.
6. Pediatric Ocular Trauma: Primary corneal and scleral perforation repair, foreign body removal.
7. Pediatric Vitreoretinal Surgery: Pars Plana Lensectomy, Pars Plana Vitrectomy, Retinal detachment Surgeries
8. Pediatric Laser Procedures: Yag-lasers, Argon Lasers for retinal pathology in high myopic children.
The Cornea department was established in 2018 with initiatives of Prof Muhammad Saleh Memon by appointing a Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
Our Cornea department provides vast services to the needy population of Pakistan. It ranges from the basic diagnosis and management of Corneal Infections of various types to the surgical procedures of different types such as Corneal tear repair, Amniotic membrane transplantation and Corneal Transplantation as well.
Our cornea department works from the proper investigations of diseases to the best available management of all the corneal pathologies.
We have a Corneal infections clinic twice a week and Corneal Ectasia (mainly Keratoconus) clinics twice a week.
On this we diagnose and monitor different types of corneal ectasias pre and post management.
This helps us in diagnosing different types of Corneal infections, its course and has a major role in managing the corneal ectasias. Advanced technology Laboratory helps us in finding the culprit pathogen for causing microbial keratitis in different patients.
Corneal collagen cross linkage is the mainstay of treatment for the management of different types od Corneal Ectasia. We have done more than 1000 cases to treat the poor needy persons. Corneal transplant procedure is done here free of cost and we have done more than 200 corneal transplant procedure since 2018. The department consists of a qualified team of Consultants with residents of different postgraduate courses which rotate periodically and regularly. This department has almost 17000 registered patients whose record is separately maintained by specific staff. We are looking forward to starting sub speciality training in which we will train doctors to serve the poor humanity of our country at their doorstep.
1. EXTERNAL DAYCRYOCYSTORHINOSTOMY (DCR)
2. DACRYOCYSTECTOMY (DCT)
3. PTOSIS CORRECTION SURGERY (LEVATOR RESECTION, SLING PROCEDURE, FRONTALIS FLAP, LEVATOR ADVANCEMENT)
4. ORBITOTOMY (LATERAL, SUPERIOR, INFERIOR, MEDIAL)
5. ALL LID PROCEDURES such as CORRECTION OF ENTROPION, ECTROPION, LID TUMORS EXCISION AND RECONSTRUCTION PROCEDURES, FREE SKIN GRAFT, REPAIR OF EYELID 6. ELECTROLYSIS OF LASHES
7. AMNIOTIC MEMBRANE TRANSPLANTATION
8. INJECTION BLEOMYCIN FOR HEMANGIOMAS
9. BLEPHAROSPASM (MYECTOMY)
10. BLEPHAROPLSTY UPPER AND LOWER)
11. ORBITAL SOCKET FORMATION WITH IMPLANT/ CONFORMER/ PROSTHESIS
13. TARSORAPPHY CANTHOPLASTY
14. MANAGEMENT OF FACIAL BURNS
16. EVISCERATION WITH ORBITAL IMPLANT
17. ENUCLEATION WITH ORBITAL IMPLANT
18. EXENTERATION WORK MAY INCLUDE COLLABORATION WITH ENT DEPARTMENT